What if I have a DD215 Showing an Upgraded Discharge, but my DD214 still isn't correct?

-A A +A

When the Department of Defense (DoD) or the Coast Guard upgrades a Veteran’s discharge, it usually issues a DD215 showing corrections to the DD214. The DoD or the Coast Guard attaches the DD215 to the old DD214—which still shows the outdated discharge and related information. While the discharge on the DD215 is the correct discharge, a Veteran may still want a new DD214 that shows no record of their earlier characterization of discharge.

If you have a DD215 and want an updated DD214, click the Get Started button above. On the next page, select: “I received a discharge upgrade or correction, but my upgrade came in the form of a DD215, and I want an updated DD214.” After you’ve answered all the questions, you’ll see instructions for how to request a new DD214.